Have a coffee question? Have it answered on the show, and win FREE coffee!
Greetings fellow coffee students and lovers of the bean! It’s been almost 2 weeks since my last post. I drove down to Ann Arbor, Michigan last week for the Specialty Coffee Association of America (SCAA) Skill Building Workshop. This was a 2 day event that offered opportunities to learn more about coffee, and how to improve your skills. I attended two classes about cupping coffee, and received certificates :) I gained a greater appreciation and understanding of tasting coffee and comparing coffees from different regions and methods of processing. I also got to meet some excellent people too!
Also present at the workshop was Jeff Ulrich, a representative from BUNN, one of the pioneers of coffee brewing. Jeff graciously demonstrated the brand new Trifecta coffee brewer on video for CoffeeNate.com viewers! Single cup coffee brewers are all the rage now, with pour-over brewers, the AeroPress, and the like taking huge segments of market share, did you think coffee legend BUNN would sit still and watch from the sidelines? If you did, you were wrong. This video is a demo of the BUNN Trifecta brewer in only it’s second public appearance ever! The BUNN Trifecta is
birthed during the current single cup brewer craze. I would describe the Trifecta as a souped-up AeroPress on steroids. “Every Coffee Has a Voice” is how BUNN begins it’s description of the Trifecta brewer. Simple, yet profound. Brewing is not a one size fits a
ll endeavor. Coffees from different regions, different roasts, different blends, etc all achieve their optimum flavor at varying brewing conditions. The Trifecta allows for individualized precise settings that make it possible to achieve repeatable results, which accentuate each coffee’s unique characteristics. Every aspect of coffee brewing is able to be adjusted, from the length of time the coffee is steeped to the amount of pressure exerted during extraction.
There is a handy chart to record your settings as you dial in the ideal combination to create the perfect cup. The quick and dirty explanation of the Trifecta’s brewing process from BUNN is as follows…
- WETTING The coffee grounds are saturated.
- EXTRACTION Air is injected into a pressurized chamber so that the grounds are agitated — the result: uniformity of extraction and a complex beverage that will be enjoyed by the coffeelover.
- HYDROLYSIS Air presses the beverage through a metal screen that filters out coffee grounds while preserving coffee oils and aromatics fro a deep-bodied, unique coffee experience.”
This would be an excellent addition to any coffee house, or to a coffee roaster who would like to compare coffees brewed precisely the same. The unit is attractive to customers and offers a unique brewing presentation. It is also a fraction of the price of the famed Clover coffee brewer, which can cost $11,000. The Trifecta is about $2,500. Not cheap by any means, but this is an industrial grade machine that is made to be worked.
FREE COFFEE CONEST!
The May free coffee contest is sponsored by Coffees of Hawaii! They will be giving away 3 prizes of free coffee to visitors of CoffeeNate.com! I will be drawing and announcing the winners on June 1st.
Here’s how you can get the maximum number of entries…
• Leave a comment on ANY post at CoffeeNate.com! The comment must contribute to the discussed topic to qualify.
• Click the ‘TWEET’ button at the top or bottom of any post at CoffeeNate.com
• ReTweet any of my tweets that contain contest information, or a link to CoffeeNate.com
• “LIKE” the CoffeeNate.com page on facebook (You will receive an entry into every contest!)
• Refer a friend to CoffeeNate.com and have them send me a message saying “___ sent me.”
• Ask any coffee question
• Simply fill out the free coffee contest form with your name and email (auto entry into EVERY future contest)
• Place a link to CoffeeNate.com on your website, or in a blog post. (email me the link to enter)